How to Make a Coconut Rice Recipe
Coconut rice is a creamy, coconut-y side dish that has a subtle sweetness and is often served with Asian cuisines. It pairs really well with grilled meat or seafood and can be made with any type of long-grain rice.
The key to making this coconut rice recipe is to use jasmine rice, which has the perfect grain size and grain density to absorb the delicious coconut flavor without becoming gluey or sticky. Other varieties of rice can have a too-sticky texture or too much starch that makes the rice stick to each other and not absorb the liquid fully.
This recipe is also best with full-fat canned coconut milk, which adds a rich and creamy coconut flavor. You can use light coconut milk if you prefer, but it won’t contribute as much to the richness of this recipe.
You can also substitute coconut milk powder in this recipe, which works even better and doesn’t require rinsing and soaking of the rice. This method also allows you to enjoy a fluffy coconut rice that is ready in minutes!
1. Bring the coconut milk to a boil with water and salt. Stir until the liquid begins to bubble and then reduce the heat to low to achieve a simmer.
2. Cover the pot and let it cook for 15 minutes. Then, remove it from the heat and let it sit, covered for another 5 to 10 minutes before fluffing and serving.
3. Mix-in options: You can also add additional ingredients such as shredded coconut, raisins, or a few drops of lemon juice. Just be sure to reheat these additions before adding them to the rice so they don’t mush up and slosh over the bottom of the pan.
4. Variations: You can add a few extra flavorings to your coconut rice, such as lime zest or juice, or a little more salt. Just be sure to taste test the mixture and adjust the seasoning accordingly.
5. Make ahead: You can make this coconut rice up to 3 days in advance, and it freezes well!
6. Store leftovers in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
7. Serve warm or at room temperature, depending on your preference.
8. Serve with your favorite meat or vegetable dishes!
9. If you’re looking to add more depth of flavor, try sprinkling this coconut rice with some toasted coconut, which also gives it a beautiful flecked look and some additional texture.
You can also top this dish with a curry, coconut milk, or any other kind of sauce that’s already in the fridge!
This coconut rice recipe is a super-easy side dish that’s sure to please everyone. It’s also a one-pot meal that can be prepared in just 35 minutes or less, which means it’s ideal for weeknight meals! You’ll love how quickly and easily this easy-to-make rice is ready to serve and how rich and flavorful it is. It’s the perfect base for grilled or cooked meats and seafood, but it can also be a wonderful stand-alone dish.